The Knox County Board of Education met during a special called meeting on July 24, 2017 to conduct their regular monthly meeting. The meeting was originally scheduled for Thursday, July 27, but was rescheduled due to a scheduling conflict with the Kentucky Association of School Administrators conference.
Student and staff recognition during the meeting:
- Brandi Mills, graduate of Knox Central High School, placed 9th in Publication Design at the National Future Business Leaders of America conference. Her adviser is Virgena Rhodes, business teacher at Knox Central.
- Members of the Knox County Area Technology Center HOSA chapter placed at their State conference and qualified for International competition. Among students receiving awards were McKayla Lowery (pin design state champion), Danielle Grubb (clinical specialty state champion), Alexis Owens, Hayley Smith, Felicity Landrum, and Kristen Ledford (group event, health education, state champions), and Morgan Smith (physical therapy state runner-up).
- Jeff Ketcham, director of transportation, was recognized for his recent award by the Student Transportation Association of Kentucky. Ketcham was named the 2017 J.T. Coomer Memorial Director of the Year by the association.
- Unable to be in attendance were Cheyenne Hopkins and Masyn Mitchell, FCCLA National winners, from Lynn Camp Schools. Hopkins and Mitchell won bronze honors for their community service project. Abram Mills, rising junior, will be attending the Gatton Academy this fall to complete his final two years of high school. Ninety five students are selected annually for admission with each earning over 60 college credits by graduation.
Among items approved by the Board were:
- Set motor vehicle rates at 50.2 per $100.00 of assessed value for 2018, keeping the rate the same as the past year.
- Approved annual KSBA policy updates and final readings of the district’s attendance and dual credit policies.
- Approved acceptance of the Preschool Partnership Grant which is enabling four sites to offer five day a week preschool and two sites with extended hours.
- Request for proposals for Guaranteed Energy Savings Contracts that would begin the process of HVAC and other renovations at schools.
A copy of the full agenda is available below. All items were approved during the meeting. Official minutes of the meeting will be approved at the August 24, 2017 meeting.