Knox County Public Schools makes a free appropriate public education (FAPE) available to children with disabilities and provides the child and parents all the rights under Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Kentucky laws, and administrative regulations.
Our district shall ensure that a free appropriate public education is available to each child with a disability:
- whose age is three (3) to twenty-one (21) years;
- who resides in a home, facility, residence, or any type of shelter within KCPS’s geographical boundaries;
- who has a disability, regardless of the severity (according to procedures for Evaluation and Eligibility);
- who needs special education and related services (according to procedures for IEP);
- who has been suspended or expelled for more than a total of ten days in a school year (according to Providing Services in procedures for Discipline) ; and
- who resides within KCPS boundaries who has not graduated with a general education diploma or certificate of completion/attainment (according to Release Due to Withdrawal From School in procedures for Placement in the Least Restrictive Environment).