The Kentucky Department of Education and AdvancED conducted an 0n-site review of the Knox County Public Schools in spring 2017.
The team found that the district is committed to being proactive in promoting change and using the Diagnostic Review process to guide how they conduct business in moving forward. Therefore, the Diagnostic Review Team encouraged Knox County Public Schools to use the Improvement Priorities identified as part of the review process to build on the foundation of growth and improvement that has been established across the district. This emphasis will ensure all students receive a challenging and equitable education through the implementation of rigorously aligned curriculum, differentiated learning experiences, improved instructional practices, common grading and reporting practices, the coordination of learning support systems and the evaluation of program effectiveness.
- The institution should use the findings from this review to guide the continuous improvement process. The institution must address the Improvement Priorities listed below: Develop and implement a district-wide grading and reporting system to ensure students’ grades are based on clearly defined criteria that represents the attainment of content knowledge and skills. Regularly monitor grading and reporting practices to provide consistency across all grade levels and courses.
- Develop and implement a program evaluation process for internal stakeholders to monitor program effectiveness, district-wide initiatives and verifiable improvement in student learning that includes, but is not limited to, ensuring implementation fidelity and clearly documenting and analyzing the results of existing systems. Use this process to identify gaps and to prioritize and connect all systems across the district.
- Engage all staff members in a process to develop, implement, monitor and document a district-wide instructional process. Use research-based instructional practices that 1) are responsive to individual student needs, 2) require students to respond to higher order thinking questions, 3) provide students exemplars of high quality work and 4) use formative assessments to inform students with specific and timely feedback about their learning.
- Facilitate the development of a district-wide consistent core curriculum that aligns all instructional components, including content, skills, assessments, activities and resources across and within all grade levels and content areas.
- Systematically and continuously use data to identify and coordinate learning support systems to address the unique learning needs of all students. Devote continued attention to the trends and patterns of learning and achievement by the various accountability subgroups within the district so that instructional and assessment practices, curriculum development and professional development emphasizes differentiation and personalized learning experiences for all students.